The Coal Institute is proud of its commitment to participating in opportunities that promote the utilization of coal and the education of future employees in our industry. The first part of our adopted Mission Statement outlines our role as follows: "Our mission is to support and financially assist public educational efforts pertaining specifically to the use and benefits of coal and the coal industry in general..." Since 1994, The Coal Institute has contributed over $928,000 to coal education through our donations to CEDAR, College Scholarships, The Challenger Learning Center, and the Virginia Tech Teacher Certification program. For the 2014-2015 fiscal year, the Board of Directors of The Coal Institute has approved $78,000 for the Educational Funding Program.
The Coal Institute's College Scholarship Program was initiated in 1997 and the purpose of the program is to offer assistance to students who are studying to receive an education and degree in various fields associated with the coal industry. Awards in the amount of $3,500 each are now granted to eight two-year colleges with Mining Technology or Mining Engineering programs and awards of $5,000 each to three four-year colleges offering Mining Engineering degrees. To date, The Coal Institute has distributed over $423,500 toward these college scholarships.
Additionally a "Legacy Scholarship" has been established and is now being funded to provide more scholarships in the future.
Schools which have previously received scholarship money include the following:
- West Virginia University – Department of Mining Engineering - Letter of Appreciation
- University of Kentucky – Department of Mining Engineering - Letter of Appreciation Letter of Appreciation
- Virginia Tech – Department of Mining Engineering
- University of South Carolina - Coal Research & Development
- University of Missouri – Rolla – Department of Mining Engineering
- University of Tennessee – Department of Transportation and Logistics
- Big Sandy Community & Technical College – Mining Technology - Letter of Appreciation
- Bluefield State College - Letter of Appreciation
- Hazard Community & Technical College - Letter of Appreciation
- Rend Lake College -Letter of Appreciation Letter of Appreciation
- Southwest Virginia Community College - Letter of Appreciation
- Penn State Fayette Campus - Letter of Appreciation
- Virginia Highlands Community College
- Madisonville Community College - Letter of Appreciation
Donations to CEDAR and The Challenger Learning Center are for the education of students in grades K - 12, and for the 2014-2015 fiscal year a total of $35,000 was contributed to these organizations. . More can be learned about CEDAR from this web page. The following Chapters of CEDAR continue to receive funding.
- East Kentucky
- Southwest Virginia
- Southern West Virginia
- West Kentucky Cedar
- CEDAR - Letter of Appreciation Letter of Appreciation
Please review our current giving levels and allocations. We’re proud of our college students and secondary school students who receive our continuing support for coal education.